Thursday, December 4, 2008

Shoulder Surgery

Well it 2 am and my body is wide awake. I've had more sleep in the last 24 hours than I usually get in a week so of course my body thinks I should be wide awake at 2am.
I went in for Same Day Surgery on my shoulder Wed morning. I usually have pretty severe nausea and vomitting after surgery, just like everyone else in our family so they decided to be preemptive and put a motion sickness patch on me. About 5 minutes later I started running a whopping fever, turned red from my ears to my chest, couldn't stop coughing, I felt like clawing my throat open to catch my breath. Needless to say I had a severe reaction and they had to give me benadryl iv push and epi before it calmed down. I was feeling good after surgery, not even nauseated, but as soon as I got up to get dressed, I started coughing uncontrollably and sweating etc. Needless to say the nurses freaked out and I had to stay a few more hours. The anesthesiologist made my promise I would take 50 of benadryl every 6 hrs for the next 24 hours. I thought they were being a bit paranoid, the patch was only on me 5 minutes, but sure enough at 10 pm last night it had been over 6 hours since my last benadryl and the coughing and itching came back. We'll see how I do in the morning. Each attach has gotten lighter and less severe so hopefully it'll be gone come morning.
The truth is though, I haven't been nauseated once and the tight throat still feels better than throwing up for 24 hours. Too bad I know they'll never give me that medication again, since besides the difficulty breathing it worked great. :)
The surgery went well. My ligament was less than 50% torn so he didn't have to sew it. Hurray!! That means no immobilizer for 6 weeks. I have a sling on and I can start using my arm as soon as the pain subsides. He said my shoulder was a mess, full of debree, fluid, puss, yuck, so He thinks it will heal up much faster now that it's all cleaned out.
Now If I can only get my knee better I can start training again.

3 comments:

jdenslen said...

This is one of the negatives about not working nights. I am so behind on everyone. Sorry to hear about your shoulder. Hope you get to feeling better soon.

Marta said...

Hey girl! I am glad to hear that your surgery went well. Super sorry to hear about your allergic reaction though! Yeah for only having to wear the sling- good news!!! Hope you start feeling better, maybe in the spring you can get my big butt in shape!! :) Love ya and let me know if I can help in ANY way!!!

The Andersen's said...

It's Saturday night. Where are you??? It is not the same without you, and as I am checking out the blog, you know what kind of night we are having so far... Ana